Monday, November 17, 2008

Castle Crashers Demo

From the creators of Newgrounds comes another classic game. In this game you play a knight who seems to be retrieving some sort of crystal that was stolen from your king. This game plays like old time classics like Guantlet Legends, Golden Axe, Final Fight, etc with very cartoony and crude looking graphics.

The graphics comment is not meant to be a slight against the game. I actually love the graphics. I'll be one of the first people to say that good graphics don't make a good game (i.e. Final Fantasy VIII or X). What does make a good game is great game play, and this game has it.

The only thing I don't like about this game is the hit detection. While this is a 3-D game, the hit detection is very 2-D. If you're not aligned perfectly with the enemy, you won't hit them, even though you're swinging a weapon the size of yourself. This is especially evident on the first boss that I came across. He takes up half the screen, but unless I was lined up properly, I couldn't touch him.


Even with the poor hit detection, it doesn't take away from the game. It's a quirk that you learn early and adapt to. It reminds me a lot of Alien Hominid (mainly because it's made by the same guys) and I absolutly loved that game. If you have Xbox Live, download this game, you won't be sorry. As soon as I get the money in my budget, I'm getting the full game.

No comments: